Detox? What is a detox or cleanse? I had never done a detox before but at this point I was curious and ready to try it out if it was going to help me feel better. I had read in magazines that had images of women in their pink or trendy workout clothes talking about doing a cleanse or a detox through the use of food and other forms like smoothies, along with drinking lots of water with cucumber or lemon in it because it was so refreshing. The representation of what was advertised was for the girly girl type who follow and fall for that fake “look what you can look like if you….”. I thought “Wow, that is crazy! I could never do that nor would I want to.” I am far from a girly girl and I thought that this fell under such a category.
Boy, was I wrong.
The detox I am doing right now is Phyto Drainol which is a tincture that I mix with warm water and drink before each meal. It is to cleanse the bowel, kidneys and liver of toxins.
Body detoxing and cleanses can be dangerous, so make sure you are under practitioner care before you start. It is important to cleanse your colon first before attempting a detox because…
The holistic detoxification process must be systematic because of the inter-dependence of the organ systems. For instance, the liver is the major organ of detoxification and breaks down metabolic waste and environmental toxins. It then sends most of the water-soluble waste to the kidneys and the fat-soluble waste to the intestines to be eliminated (via the bile/gallbladder).
Therefore, doing a liver detox or gallbladder flush without first cleansing the colon and kidneys is like trying to flush a big load down a clogged toilet. Many of the toxins would be reabsorbed from the intestines and the kidneys could also be over-burdened.
The definition of a toxin is any compound that has an adverse effect on cell function or structure and includes:
- Heavy metals: Lead, mercury, and aluminum tend to accumulate in the brain, immune system, and kidneys.
- Liver toxicants: Drugs, alcohol, toxic chemicals, pesticides, and food additives can cause serious liver damage from constant exposure.
- Microbial toxins: Absorbed toxins caused by bacteria and yeast in the intestines can significantly disrupt body functions.
- Breakdown products of protein metabolism, such as urea and ammonia, can put a burden on the kidneys after excessive protein intake.
When Should You NOT Begin a Holistic Detoxification Program?
- You should not detox while you are pregnant or nursing, but a colon cleanse and detoxification program prior to pregnancy is an excellent way to cleanse and prepare your body before you get pregnant.
- A holistic detoxification program is a very effective modality for maintaining or regaining health, but it should NOT be one the first things you do when you’re sick. If you’re extremely run down, emaciated, or your immune system is seriously compromised, you may feel even more ill if your body is overwhelmed while processing the elimination of toxins.Detoxification will certainly be very beneficial, but if you choose to do a detox program under these circumstances, please make sure you’re monitored by a qualified licensed health professional.
As you begin a detox program, be sure you…
- Drink adequate purified water to help your body flush toxins.
- Have started or recently completed a colon-parasite cleanse, including candida detoxification.
- Eat healthy food, including fresh fruits and vegetables, legumes, and some whole grains.
- Eliminate harmful food and substances such as sugar, alcohol, non-prescription and recreational drugs, or anything else that may put an additional burden on your liver and kidneys.
- Exercise moderately to improve blood and lymph circulation and promote easier toxin elimination.
- Support the organs of detoxification such as the liver, skin, and kidneys.
- Use multi-nutrient supplements to nourish and support your whole body during the colon and detoxification cleansing.
Stephen Cabral has so much great information on his three web sites and Instagram account. Check them out to learn more about the body and detoxing.