When the holidays are over I’m exhausted and the last thing I want to do is prep and cook a whole meal. All I want to do is enjoy my time off by relaxing, hanging with family and pampering myself. PaleoLeap has an amazing line up for Holiday Leftover ideas. It’s so nice to have all that food sitting in my fridge to heat up and eat. How convenient. However, I always find I have too much of everything and I don’t want to eat the same things for the next month. It’s time to switch it up! My favourite recipes after the holidays are turkey pie and Turkey Frittata. I’m also so thankful for the turkey bones so I can make a big batch of stock! Below you will find recipes that fit into a day of leftover cooking and baking.
Pie Crust – If you double this recipe you could make two turkey pies or one turkey pie and one pumkin pie. Freeze pie for when you are crunched for time.
Turkey Pie Filling
Preheat the oven to 350 F
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tsp ghee or coconut oil
- 1 1/2 cups leftover turkey, cut into chunks
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1/2 cup button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup turkey or chicken stock
- 1 tbs arrowroot
- 1. In a large pan melt ghee and saute the veggies and garlic over medium heat.
- 2. Add in the turkey chunks and stock.
- 3. Make slurry with the arrowroot powder and a little bit of cold water.
- 4. Add the slurry into the stock and turkey mixture.
- 5. Lower heat and cook until the stock thickens.
- 6. Remove from heat and distribute evenly into pie crust.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until the crust is golden.
There are so many other ways to use up leftovers. Here is another great site that has put together a leftover line up! Turkey Everything!
This will take you into the New Year! ~Andrea